Teacher of Science and Maths – Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Our client is one of the UK’s leading children’s specialist education and behavioural health service providers. The School has a specific focus on children who present high severity needs with challenging behaviours and complex care requirements.
Main Purpose of the Job:
Teaching Science and Maths to small groups, or one to one with pupils with SEMH.
Duties and Responsibilities:
To meet the needs of children through the use of effective teaching strategies and lesson structures to deliver the curriculum by:
- Being familiar with curriculum requirements and making full use of assessment information to develop, adapt and evaluate teaching strategies to give maximum benefit to students
- Identifying appropriate learning outcomes and developing a range of approaches which reduce barriers and help students to attain achievable targets.
- Thoroughly planning and preparing lessons and contributing to broader developments as requested
- Sequencing and structuring learning experiences and environments to develop organisational and problem solving skills to encourage independent learning
- Selecting and managing resources, using specialised materials including ICT, as appropriate, to enable maximum access to the curriculum and to promote independent living skills.
- Being aware of the effects of attachment behaviours on learning, adjusting targets and approaches accordingly.
- Working collaboratively with multi disciplinary teams to make best use of expertise.
- To ensure a high standard of display to provide a stimulating and challenging environment.
- To recognise, value and raise the achievement of students.
- Working collaboratively with Teaching Assistants and other specialists to extend students’ listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- Understanding the relevance of National Literacy and Numeracy Strategies to the students being taught and using a variety of naturally occurring experiences to promote literacy, numeracy and IT skills
- To promote social and emotional development, positive behaviour and, where appropriate to the age group taught, to prepare for adulthood. To be demonstrated by working with parents/carers and other agencies to agree approaches to each student’s personal development
- To participate in the arrangements for performance management. This includes undertaking training and development to keep abreast of current developments and to meet identified needs. (There is a requirement to maintain the ability to demonstrate, when assessed, the TTA National Standards in relation to Qualified Teacher Status).
- In carrying out the tasks in this job description you have a duty (under Health & Safety legislation) to take reasonable care for the health and safety of yourself and that of others. This implies taking positive steps to understand the hazards in the workplace, to comply with safety rules and procedures and to ensure that nothing you do, or fail to do, puts yourself or others at risk. This includes managing a safe and secure environment for staff and students.
- To contribute to the development of the Company as a whole through membership of the Heads Of Homes Group
- To receive training appropriate to role and maintain an up to date training profile
- To maintain up to date knowledge of the statutory and procedural frame-work for residential care and communicate this to staff as appropriate.
Justteachers is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check is required for all successful candidates.