SEMH/PRU Teaching Assistant – Wisbech
** ASAP Start ***
justteachers are currently working with an SEN school based in Wisbech who are recruiting for experienced Teaching Assistants to start as soon as possible.
The role will run for the full academic year and may potentially become permanent for the right candidate. The school caters for primary and secondary aged students (7-16) with SEMH (Social, Emotional, and / or Mental Health issues) who have found it difficult to cope in mainstream settings and can display very challenging and anti-social behaviour. The school gives students a chance to improve their behaviour and turn their lives around.
Students are taught in small classes of eight pupils maximum, with a teacher and at least one teaching assistant / learning mentor. The successful candidate will be assisting the teacher in class, working with and supporting all students in lessons and around the school. Students study the national curriculum including GCSEs and BTECs. The majority of students have SEN or an EHCP (statement of Special Educational Needs/ Education, Health and Care Plan). It is vital to the school that a positive learning environment is created, where both the students and the staff enjoy learning and where there are opportunities for pupils to progress into college or further work-related learning.
Key skills and experience needed:
- Experience working in challenging schools such as SEN, SEMH or Pupil Referral Units
- Previous support work within a school or other child related experience
- Strong behaviour management and confident and unfazed with challenging behaviour
- SEN experience is essential
- Resilient, open-minded and have a sense of humour
- One to one and small group work experience
- Professional manner
- Enthusiastic and friendly yet firm approach
- Team Teach Training (Desirable)
Justteachers is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check is required for all successful candidates.